TN: 2005 Domaine de la Butte Bourgueil Mi-pente

Best wine I’ve had in a few weeks. I love this style for sipping slowly on a relaxed evening. The structure is big, the aromas complex, and the flavors lingering. Not a huge wine, but everything I want. If the tannins soften, this will be even better. I’m not touching another bottle for 5 years given the structure.

• 2005 Domaine de la Butte Bourgueil Mi-pente - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (3/11/2011)
    Whoa, this is great Loire Franc. Only drink this now if you can handle some firm, ripe tannins. Nose of walnuts, menthol, celery, violets and macerated black cherries. High acid, big tannic structure–this is built to age. Very fresh red and black fruit up front, then turns more chalky with a peppery undercurrent. Definite minerality and a pleasant bitterness on the finish.

Opened up with decanting over several hours–needs about an hour to hit its stride though there’s a lot of interesting funk as it opens up to enjoy. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I’ve had a couple of these and like them a lot. I find that the fruit is a bit ripe but the texture is exceptionally appealing. My wife and I drank an 04 a couple of weeks ago which was a whole different ballgame. I’ll post a note if I can get my act together.

Elliot

It did go in the ripe cherry direction eventually, but really there’s not much to complain about in that respect. I much prefer that to a wine that’s hollow and overly green. It was sort of like the Nebbiolo of Cab Franc–Nebbiolo can get sometimes in the jammy direction, yet rip your face off with tannin and acidity. There’s no shortage of structure with this one.

Any idea how the 2002’s are drinking? I’m sitting on a couple and not really sure when I should pop a cork.

Greg–looking through my notes, I seem to find a lot of variability in the ripeness of the 05, though of course, it could just be me that’s variable.

Scott–I’ve never had a Mi Pente earlier than 04 (which, I think, is when the estate changed hands). I’d definitely like to see a note when you do pop one of the 02s.

Elliot

I might open one soon; this thread has piqued my curiosity. I had forgotten that I had owned these until I saw this note. For what it’s worth, I am 99% sure Jacky Blot’s name is on the bottle. I don’t know when he acquired the estate.