TN: 2004 Rocca Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

• 2004 Rocca Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, Yountville (9/4/2009)
    Made by cult wine mistress, Celia Masyczek, this wine boasts an explosion of violets, blackberries, blueberries, white chocolate, and mocha buttercream on the nose. The palate exhibits dense notes of chocolate covered toffee (think Skor bars), ripe plums, boysenberries, chambord, and black cherries. As hedonistic as this wine is, with its lush and concentrated fruit, it’s totally in balance and crazy good. 93-94 points. (93 pts.)

Thanks for the note Paul. I did not have the have the same experiance with this wine. Bought some at the time I discovered Keever and was very dissapointed. But I was also dissapointed with the Corra wines.

I guess Masyczek’s style and approach does not appeal to you, since she makes both wines. Keever fruit seems a bit young to me at this stage, but at least the valley fruit that she gets to use for Rocca achieves a certain level of ripeness and density of flavor that I enjoy. Lacks a bit of gravitas to be sure, which is why I did not score it higher, but for what it is, I thought it was an outstanding wine. Oh well, more for me.