TN - 2004 Pegau Reservee & 2005 Chateau de Fargues

With friends, enjoyed two bottles of the 2004 Pegau Reservee Chateauneuf-du-Pape and a 750 of the 2005 Chateau de Fargues Sauternes. Last Sunday’s NY Times had some interesting recipes so we tried the Korean braised short rib stew. Thought the Pegau would be a good pairing. Two bottles, each decanted for two-plus hours. Took a sip just after the decants, was tight, the nose was exquisite, but little in the taste. We started-in on them a couple hours later. The first bottle had come around some, nose remained beautiful, dark berry, spices, light raisin, and the taste though not as pronounced as the nose matched it. As the evening progressed, so did the wine. Some currents, and a light cherry showed as well. We started in on the second bottle about four hours after its decant, the profile was similar, the lovely nose the berry, etc. The difference was the extra time brought much more of those delicious elements to the front. We paired with the short ribs towards the end of the first bottle, and into second. The meal was delicious - thank you NYT - and the pairing was a knock-out; wine and food made each better.

We had the 2005 Fargues on its own after the meal. I loved it but our guests thought it to be too sweet. My mistake was not decanting it. Light pear, honey and some citrus to the nose and taste. I am guessing this would have been well-served with a long decant. It was very sweet, as it should be, but the stuffing did not have a chance to emerge. To me only, still pleasing.

So my cheap advice, decant the Pegau for three-plus hours and share it over a meal. And absolutely decant the Fargues for a considerable amount of time. The good news: about a half of the Fargues is waiting to try again tonight.

2 Likes

Two very good wines - thanks for the notes. And NYT Cooking has some great recipes.

1 Like

Very nice John!

1 Like

Opened a 2004 Pegau Reserve last night. Stood it up for sediment for 48 hours and decanted about 30 mins. Fair amount settled at the bottom of the bottle (probably like 75ml). Judging by the evolution, could have used more time in the decanter per John’s note which I hadn’t read prior to opening.

Pretty close to fully resolved, gained a bit of backbone later on through the bottle. Nice Christmas spice, plum, and dark cassis. No Pegau funk (out of my 04s, probably < 1/3 had the funk in this vintage). Fully round mouthfeel, not the deepest pitch of the best aged Pegs, but still quite nice. Fun wine to drink and in a great place of maturity. Its next evolution is probably tertiary fwiw.

2 Likes

Appreciate the TNs, gents. Now on my immediate radar to open one of my stored since at-release bottles.

I meant 2004 Pegau Reservee.

2 Likes