TN: 2004 JC Cellars Syrah "Ventana Vineyard"

• 2004 JC Cellars Syrah Ventana Vineyards - USA, California, Central Coast, Monterey (5/29/2009)
    At Gialina with Pizzas: Potato with applewood smoked bacon, red onions, rosemary and gorgonzola (2) Amatriciana - tomato, pancetta, chilis, pecorino romano with Rancho Ellis Farm Egg and (3) Speck with tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil and arugula. All the pizzas were terrific.

The wine was everything you expect a JC Cellars Syrah to be. Rich, slighty smoky/meaty, with terrific interplay of red/black fruits, pepper, great mouthfeel/presence, enough acidity to keep it lively. This wine delivered last night, even if served a tad too warm…yee haw. Wine + pizza + fiancee and good friends = a terrific evening. (91 pts.)

Boy talk about a timely note, I just moved this wine into my drink very soon rack. Glad to hear it’s drinking well.

Steve - it is. Although I must admit not paying too much attention to it as my eyes were locked on a pizza with egg oozing…and the glasses it was served in were those little water glasses…that being said, it is drinking very well.