TN: 2004 Herb Lamb E II; 2005 Rudius Syrah

• 2004 Herb Lamb Cabernet Sauvignon E II Red Herb Lamb Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/13/2009)
    Decanted one hour, enjoyed over the following two. Nice bottle of wine. Classic cabernet nose of leather, cedar and black currants. These flavors follow through on the palate, with dark fruits and sharp acidity. Not big bodied, more subtle than overpowering.
  • 2005 Rudius Syrah - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (6/13/2009)
    Popped and poured, enjoyed over 2 hours. Nose, palate and finish are a dead ringer for a Northern Rhone syrah (Hermitage) from a warm vintage. Ripe fruit, cracked pepper, coffee, silky smooth with a long, minerally finish. Not as thick or viscous as previous bottles, showing wonderful balance with the fruit more elegant and less primary. This is evolving very nicely and I am excited to taste it over the next 10 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note on the Rudius, Brian.
I bought mostly Grenache first time round, but I have one Syrah hanging around.
Will hit it down the road a bit.

Wow, huge baby killing on the Herb Lamb, no? Sounds beautiful already…

the EII is more drink now right?

I don’t think it was a baby killing. It was pretty lush with nice aromatics and nice development of flavors. I’d say if you have a few, enjoy one now. The window on these is open and will remain so for another 7-8 years.