TN: 2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo

• 2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (10/2/2016)
    Decanted 2 hrs. Another strong showing with lots to enjoy here, sangiovese with a slight modern edge, pronounced cedar and bright red cherry fruit. Some mid palate richness and wood tannin suggest this did see some new oak (unsure regimen here) but it has melded together pretty well. At plateau of drinking maturity and should hold for a good 5 years or so. Very good VsD, but I think i like the long term potential of the 06 a little more at this stage. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Interesting note, but not as interesting as the one from 7/1 by Eric Guido. His conclusion in his tasting note is that it’s a hard wine to like, yet he “Likes” the wine and gives it 91 points. [scratch.gif]

• 2004 Fontodi Chianti Classico Riserva Vigna del Sorbo - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (4/15/2018)
    Decanted 4 hrs. Equal bursts of wintergreen, balsamic and dark cherries on the nose, there is an excellent addition of floral aromas as well. We are in a nice space here, the red cherry Sangiovese core is nicely offset by the structural elements of acid and tannin, with a subtle suggestion of cedar throughout. Great versatility on display, I can think of many different food parings that should work nicely with this guy. Going forward, though this was my last bottle, I would be careful about extended cellaring, as I could see the acid and tannin trumping the current harmony of fruit etc. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker