TN: 2004 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2004 Chateau Montelena Chardonnay - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/12/2010)
    Very bright metallic gold, slight green tinge, color. Puligny nose of stone fruit, chalky mineral spice, caramel oak, smoky flint. With all the White Burgundy that I’ve had in the last year…this truly a dead ringer! Bright citrus and pitted fruit, as well as tangy green apple… LOADED with stones, lemon/lime acidity…balanced well with a little creaminess of smoky, caramelly oak(very little oak used). Again, drinking this at cellar temp is key. Brings out the white floral blossoms. More Puligny than Chablis imo…doesn’t have the sea funk. Does have the slightest of “edge” to it…a harshness that keeps it from being a pure wine. Still, outstanding wine if you’re into White Burgs. Should have no problem aging 10+. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker on GrapeStories.com

Great note. Try the 05 it is a great wine. I missed out on the 06 and 07 since the movie “Bottle Shock” seems to have made Monty scarce these days and it is pushing $50 and you can’t find it out my way anymore.