TN: 2004 Cadence Bel Canto (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain)

You can certainly enjoy your 2007’s now, but the wines really won’t be “mature” for anther 3-5 years. These are Bordeaux blends, so you do have to think about Bordeaux in terms of aging. Ben was pulling “old” wines at his release weekend early this month, and popped a 2004 Ciel. It’s just great, but it really is still a relatively young wine.

Joe,

John pretty much echoed how I would have responded; but definitely pop one now to get a feel for the style ( BTW - I think the 07 WA vintage has a lot of early appeal - so that’s a bonus), but rest assured, there are much better days down the horizon. Be patient on your last 2 bottles, assuming you crack one of each in the present time. Had I known how well these wines develop, I would have held out on a lot of Cadence bottles that were consumed just a tad too young, but nonetheless enjoyable just the same. Report back your impressions, I’d be curious. Great price BTW - those go for $40 to $55 here in WA.

John, I’d be curious to know what Ben poured for you this month, 2010’s? Any impressions that would be worth noting? Thanks!

Maybe Ben can chie in, but I read an article a few years ago that said Ben styled his wine s to require several years of aging, before being consumed. The article was pointing out how difficult it is for wines from Cadence to compete with the newer Wash wines which are made to pop and pour. Requires an educated wine buyer to appreciate that is being poured from the latest Cadence release at a tasting, is nowhere close to what the wine will eventually become.

A local retailer in my area has a small selection of Cadence with 5-8 years on them already, which I drink from once in awhile. An 05’ CdC a few months back was pretty tasty. Might have gone longer, but no need.

This was the release event for the 2010’s–all four of them. They are really nice–best in a few years, which is saying a lot. The fruit has that nice pure crytaline sort of character, enjoyable now but with great structure for aging, although it’s a sort of weightless structure. I’d load up.

Eeeeexcellent.

RM - the article was authored by Bruce Schoenfeld in The World of Fine Wine. There were interesting quotes from Bob Betz, Peter Dow (Cavatappi), and Chris Camarda (Andrew Will) about what we do, as well as analysis of our restrained style in today’s market. I can email a copy to anyone interested, and I’ll try to get it back up on the website.

I do not want to make wine like (redacted) and (redacted). It’s boring, monotonous stuff :slight_smile:

11/26/2016 rated 93 points: Corked popped out for 3 hrs before serving. Still in the zone, this 04 blend of cab franc / merlot is in a great window of prime time drinking. Spice / florals / and chocolate compete on the nose, very savory and rich. The palate is well integrated, moving beyond individual components leaning instead toward a layered and complete wine as a whole. Pretty light on its feet actually with good grip still on the finish. Lovley wine. (0 views)

Whoa wait, Benjamin Smith as in Cadence’s Ben Smith? Holy shit. That’s pretty exciting. Benjamin, help us solve a related discussion on how long WA reds are good for. Are Cadence wines good or designed to be good for 30 years?

Pretty weird to see “Rick the Dick” Gregory on this thread. I don’t miss him at all.

Actually, as I’ve said before, Rick is a good guy. Ben and I see him and drink wine with him every month as we’re in the same tasting group, which Rick coordinates. Posters like Rick are somewhat of a double edged sword, but I miss the good side of his presence on the board, just as I miss Bill Klapp’s. My reaction to reading his posts on this old thread was that it was a shame he wasn’t still here.

+1

A-hole.

I don’t doubt he’s a good guy in person. Bob Wood was actually a sweetheart in person too, but his online legacy is him being a grump.

Slight thread drift in my own thread, but Tanzer’s new WA report came out yesterday, and lots of love for the Cadecne 2013’s (and the QPR home run 2014 Coda). Tanzer has always been high on Ben’s wines, but clearly felt that these wines are now at the top of the heap based upon this recent set. My .02 - Hard to argue. Better yet is you would be hard pressed to find a better ageworthy domestic Bordeaux blend under $40 (the Ciel de Cheval & Tapteil bottles).

I had a short chat with Steve when he was in town to do the Washington review, and yes he loves Ben’s wines (and of course QC, and Betz, and Corliss, etc). We were both wondering why folks would buy Cali wines when you can get this quality in WA for a much lower price.