TN: 2003 Rusden Black Guts Shiraz

Barossa Valley, 15 % ABV. This was Carrie’s idea. The last bottle we had 5 years ago was undrinkable prune juice, that wasn’t supposed to reach its prime before 2020. The cork disintegrated and we wound up pushing the remainder into the bottle. First sip was green bell pepper and prune juice. After 10 minutes in the glass, it changed and kept changing. At 15 minutes, this is a new wine. Black Cherry and Blackberry flavors abound. Acidity has arrived. The finish is moving to 45 seconds on the now gorgeous fruit flavors. I can’t explain it, but the 2020 window may be right on.

2003 Rusden Shiraz Black Guts - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (9/19/2015)
Wow wine. Black pepper, blackberries, spices and earth. Long finish, balanced and enjoyable. A real steal of a value for what I paid for it. (95 points)
Love this wine and think I paid less than $20. Wish I had more!

John, you must have hit the store at the right time considering it retails for $125.00 and $20 is well below wholesale price.

Funny how the tide has turned and Oz is back to offering value as Rhone prices have skyrocketed.