TN: 2003 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

2003 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

I am not very experienced and/or don’t have the best nose for wine so the nose to me is very similar to that of most JJ Prum’s I have experienced. There was a touch of petrol and some tropical fruit on the nose. Not as much citrus I as normally get. The color was a medium light yellow. Not pale yellow like the 2001 I had recently, but not dark yellow either. The taste was what I have come to expect. Tropical fruits - mango, lime, apricot. All of these wrapped in the creaminess and lightness that Wehlener Sonnenuhr offers. The finish was a bit short; not as long as some others I have had and the acid was on the lower end of the spectrum. This bottle was more on the creamy mellow end of the spectrum than the energetic punch in the face end. It won’t be the vintage for a lot of the acid lovers I don’t think. However, this is the only 03 I have had so it could be bottle variance.

This bottle was more of an evening drinker or aperitif to me than the stand alone star that was the 2001 Spatlese and Auslese. The 03 was a bit rounder and more “mellow” for lack of a better term. It would be a great wine to open up for someone that is new to Riesling or wine and wants something that is just super delicious, but doesn’t have too much acid. I think it’s drinking great now. It can still be cellared for a little while, but I don’t think it’s a super long term hold from what this bottle showed. A delicious bottle of wine that was very enjoyable.

90 pts.

Thanks for the check in. It’s been a few years since I last looked in on any 2003s.

1 Like

Better dig some out David. They were bangin’ when we tried the GH and WS side-by-side at the Prum estate in 2018.

1 Like

I tasted through all JJ Prum ws and gh 03s this summer including the gold kaps. A friend prefers other vintages because of the lack of acidity and pillow softness of the vintage compared to others. I found them really nice and a bit of change but still great Prum we all know and love. I think the Auslese and gold kaps can age longer but I agree with Brian nothing wrong with opening and drinking then now. Unfortunately I drank most of my limited supply.

1 Like

I just checked my inventory - nothing but Auslese.

I agree Adam. I felt like this was a very delicious bottle and totally drinkable right now. It is definitely pillow soft. I think you said it best when you said it was slightly softer but still the Prum we all know and love. While it lacks acidity, it’s not too overly sweet or cloying. Just slightly “softer” like you said. This was still a very enjoyable Prum and probably will be a favorite vintage of those who prefer less acidity in their Rieslings. I too don’t have much in the way of 03 in my Eurocave to compare later, but I think I have a bottle or two of the Auslese.

1 Like