TN: 2003 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard

• 2003 Alban Vineyards Syrah Reva Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (1/29/2010)
    Very dark basically opaque black red. Hyper intense flavors of blackberries, smoke, game, bacon and spice. Lingering aftertaste. Extremely lush and viscous. Still a puppy, will continue to evolve for years to come.

Day 2. Should have initially added that this wine was first tasted at a restaurant (Cassanova in Carmel) and was popped and poured. While the nose was somewhat muted at the restaurant, on day 2, it soared! Flavors are, if anything, even more integrated, attractive and intense. I’ve raised the rating to 95. This wine has years of life ahead. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My favorite vintage of Reva.

My favorite vintage too. I haven’t had one in about a year and will be opening anther soon. Mike, how long of a decant do you think this needs?

Joe, the improvement from day 1 to day 2 was significant. I’d give the decant at least a couple of hours.

Difficult wine in general for a restaurant as they do take a bit to open up. Glad you got the day 2 experience as it just gets better and better.

just my .02, I would open this a day before you want to drink it, pour a short glass, splash decant, rebottle with the cork, next day let it breathe in the bottle a couple of hours before you drink it. This is my Alban/pax method, lots of work, but these wines need some coaxing young.

Thanks guys

Use the Freemott method of a couple seconds in a Waring Pro…

Use the Freemott method of a couple seconds in a Waring Pro…

If you have a blender that gives you numeric indications of speed you can easily substitute them for years of age provided you keep it at that speed for 17.5 seconds per year/digit.

So, if you want the wine to age 8 years then you must blend it at 8 for 17.5 seconds * 8

If, however, you are stuck with a blender that only provides for nebulous statements such as , Stir, Blend, Crush and Frappe then you need to find out how many speeds are available, (4 in the citation I used - stir/blend/crush/frappe) and assume that each has a power of 2.5 on a 10 unit scale. So, if you want your wine to age 5 years it’s Blend for 36 seconds.

PM me if you want me to send you my Excel sheet for this method.

Must look for the Vita-Mix with the Flux Capcitor…

OH MY GOD…Alban Reva and Casanova Carmel… [worship.gif] [worship.gif] [worship.gif]

Buzz, I can nitpic about Casanova (the winelist is deep but too pricey and corkage is $30), but for my money it is still the best restaurant in town.