TN: 2002 Ojai Syrah Bien Nacido Vineyard (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley)

• 2002 Ojai Syrah Bien Nacido Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (7/27/2009)
    Popped and poured and followed over 2 hours. Nose initially started out with a lot of graphite/iron/blood with some blueberry fruit. With some air additional sweetness showed up and there was more of a graphite, blueberry, violet note on the nose. The palate was sweeter than the nose initially showed but was definitely full bodied but not heavy. Notes of blueberry, game, a hint of coffee, white pepper and some underbrush with a medium long finish. No hard or noticeable tannins suggest to me this has entered its prime drinking window and should stay there another 2-3 years. Enjoy!! (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Ojai doesn’t seem to get more widespread love these days, but I’m usually pretty happy every time I open one, esp. with some age on it.

Bruce

Totally agree Bruce. Finished my last '99 Bien about a year ago. It was stellar.
Nice note Tony.

bruce -

We are actually preparing for an all Ojai Vineyard dinner in 2 Sundays. I am providing the Syrahs from the 00-02 vintages, someone is providing Pinots and someone Chardonnay. I hoping someone brings a late harvest Viognier and the Sauv Blanc and reg Viognier.