TN: 2002 Maurice Écard Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Narbantons

I was home alone. Looking for something to drink while reading a book. This worked well.

• 2002 Maurice Écard Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Narbantons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (7/19/2012)
    Cork was stained up to the top and even appears to have been the tiniest drop that leaked although it dried and sealed. Ruby in color. The nose is very nice with cherries and some damp, wet earth. With air, a bit of funk comes out. On the palate, this tastes young and undamaged. Still more primary than I would have expected a pristine bottle to be. Lots of fresh cherries, a bit of layering unwinds with air showing some minerality/earthiness. Nice texture. Slightly tart but within reason. Nice wine and a reminder of what good values Savigny can be. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice one Loren.
I’m a fan of the M. Ecard wines in general.
I’ve had some really good mid-to late 90’s Savignys from them in the past couple of years.
Last month, the '96 Peuillets was signing. Just lovely in every way, and showed younger than it’s age.
Punching above its class, so to speak.
Cheers.

Love them too, a Savigny Premier Cru from 98 last Tuesday was really fine,mature but at peak and a very good QPR. Thanks for the note.
Cheers
Rainer

Also known as PAME. [snort.gif]

The 1999 is in a beautiful drinking spot right now. Lots of gorgeous autumnal funk and cherry fruit.

Scary about the cork. I plan on aging mine more. Should I be worried?

I opened two 2002 Ecard Serpentieres this year. One was leaking much more severely than Loren’s Narbantons. While still drinkable it was not as pleasurable as the non-leaker.

Opened a 2009 Domaine Michel & Joanna Ecard Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Serpentières last night. Meh. Still love the older Maurice label though.