TN: 2002 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese *

**2002 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese *** - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/27/2015)
I was doing some cellar reorganization the other day, and ran across my bottles of this wine. I grabbed one, and popped it in the fridge, figuring my wife and I would get to it sooner or later. Well last night was sooner, and the wine was a revelation. From the first pour it was a riot of tropical fruit, strawberries and ethereal spices. Normally when a wine smells this good the palate has a hard time living up to the aromatics, but this was an exception to that, as the palate impression built upon what was promised by the nose. The depth of fruit from the very front all the way through the finish exceeded any other Riesling I have had this year, and really stunned both of us. The complexity promised by the aromas emerged after a few minutes in the glass, with the acidity carrying a firm mineral impression to the finish. The wine was perceptibly sweet, yet perfectly balanced by the acids, and never felt heavy. We were sharing a glass, and each of us kept grabbing for it at the same time. Every time I would pour more the wine would suddenly just disappear.

This was an amazing Riesling that was completely on par with the fabulous 2001 version of the same wine. It had plenty of stuffing, so further aging is no problem at all, but drinking some now is highly recommended. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Great tasting note and description. Reading it made my mouth water and I could visually see the wine disappearing from the bottle as if I was there in person.

David - Is approximately 12 years a good general benchmark for aging Riesling? I enjoy Riesling and have been thinking about laying some down.

How sweet are * and multi * level wines? are they dessert level wines? or off dry starters…

Scott - I generally do not open top spatlese or auslese in any quantity until it reaches 10 years old. Beyond that I can’t say as every wine has a mind of its own.

Arv - it’s really producer by producer. More stars generally mean more sweetness and/or botrytis. I would likely never consider an auslese with *, ** or *** on the label as an off-dry starter wine, unless it had a good bit of age (which generally reduces sweetness). This particular wine is sweet but by no means obtrusive. We had it with non-spicy Asian food, and it was perfect.

Awesome TN…I pretty much love everything from JJ!

2002 is a bit overlooked following 2001, but I find they are often close in quality from the right/good producers.

2002 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese * - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/8/2022)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over 1.5 to 2 hours –
– AP No. … 007 03 –

NOSE: expressive; spiced gum drops; ginger; candied apricot and pineapple; light petrol in the background.

BODY: amber color; full bodied.

TASTE: “beachy” — coconut and tropical fruits; light petrol; candied orange; acidity is “good enough” around the medium to medium+ territory; 7.5% alc. not noticeable; strikes me as being in early/mid maturity; head-shakingly delicious! Recently purchased at auction, and for a heckuva deal, too — if one calculates $2/year for the age, then I paid for the age and got the wine for free. Christoffel killed it in '02 with their Urziger Wurzgartens — buy 'em if you find 'em. Drinking great right now, but will continue to ride if you prefer fully mature sweet Riesling.

I bought a bunch of these in 2015. Same deal: $2/year and the wine was free. Well done.