TN; 2002 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges !er Cru Les Bousselots

I haven’t had the 2002 LSG in a long time, but it certainly was the most put together of the 2002s I’ve had.

I thought the 2003 LSG was pretty good, not great. What I found most interesting was how approachable, and would easily argue advanced the wine was. I’ve had 30 year old LSG from Chevillon (opened an 83 in 13), and it was pure insanity (in a very heavy hitter line up, it was voted #2 WOTN). The 2003 tasted like it had 3-5 years left.

We had the 02 Chevillon Vaucrains yesterday in a horizontal of 02s (no other Chevillon) and many people including myself found it weirdly ripe and sweet. I thought I had drunk it before but looking through my notes I could only find a note on the LSG, which I liked a lot.

My experiences with the 2003 Chevillon wines (LSG, Vaucrains, Chaignots) were not what I was looking for in Burgundy, but that was hardly a shock.

The 2002s, from the base NSG through the crus (I have had LSG, Vaucrains, Roncieres) have also been lovely. They are not Rousseau or Roumier, but they are not meant to be.

Amen!

Honestly though, I was hoping to buy 2015s, and the prices were absurd. I bought a little, but I’m not spending $250 on LSG when I can easily backfill for that or less.

I would not spend that much. I can get lovely vintages of Chevillon LSG for under $100 with easy to find discounts.

Pulled off something similar with the 08’ a year or two back but nothing I’d ever expect to find these days.

I managed some 2007, 2008 and 2014. All gone.

Will chime in on a positive note on the Chaignots. In D.C. last year, in a very competitive field, WOTN for me:

"2002 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Chaignots

So NSG is still one of the few communes I don’t readily grok. That said, I have now identified that I do love Chaignots as a plot. This was really, really nice. Cherry and berry and dashes of cinnamon elevate the aroma. And ooohhh, that is one pretty drink. Replays and very, very expressive. Best thing I can say? it’s nothing other than Burgundy, and magic Burgundy at that—the luminosity and shine that you want the wine to achieve. Right on the mark right now, balancing freshness, flavour and depth and WOTN"

'02 Perrieres has been really good since release.

Interesting the divergence of opinions. I suspect we could continue to go back and forth on this. Personally, I have a lot of Chevillon experience, and I would avoid 2002’s if they popped up as available on the aftermarket, but that’s just my own take. (actually, I’m not a huge 2002 fan in general, but that’s another discussion)

Interesting diverse opinions on '02 Chevillon Bousselots, secondary markets for this is almost non-existent. Looking forward to taste this in a restaurant next month.

'07 Vaucrains and Cailles are very good. '93 Vaucrains just about ready but I was expecting more given the vintage.

It’s just that kind of vintage. I think everyone immediately balks at 2003s for the well known heat of the vintage (and I’ve had a lot of lovely, classy, not over ripe 2003s that I bought cheap!), but 2002 seems to be far more consistently ripe across the board, and also unrelenting as any vintage over 15 years on.

I’m not sure everyone’s scared away from 03s anymore, Ian. To your bracketed point, I know I’m certainly not after, over the last 4 years or so, having several very interesting and intriguing bottles. They’ll never be “classic” Burgundies, but they all had a lot to offer.

Kwa Heri

Mike

Was planning to bring this to the Dallas BerserkerFest, but guess I should wait! (I’ll bring something entirely unrelated to it - 2009 Gonon St Joseph, to go with Charlie Fu’s 2015 that he is sending along)

The smart ones aren’t champagne.gif

Yea, let the Vaucrains sleep for another decade