TN: 2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots

• 2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (6/27/2009)
    I opened this to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. This wine definitely fit the occasion. Translucent red in the glass. Soaring nose of crushed berry, cherry, leather, tobacco, and damp earth. Silky texture. Cherry fruit expands across the palate with wonderful lightness. Loads of minerality and a very slight orange peel flavor on the finish. Lingers for a long time and keeps getting better with air. Still young, but this is exactly the kind of wine that excites me about Burgundy.

Pelz On Wine: 2002 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots (France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru)" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steffen

No more notes on Mugneret Gibourg. Lets keep it our little secret. [winner.gif]

That “little secret” has been out of the box for a while now, I reckon.

Congratulations on the anniversary. This is an excellent wine – one of the ones that got me seriously buying burgundy. Had another bottle a couple weeks ago and I thought it was drinking very well.

As Guillaume notes, the secret’s been out since, well, about 1988. Love it when the premier cru outperforms . . .
alan

The secret is hardly out, IMO. These wines are excellent and if consumers found out how good they were, the prices would climb.

Dan.

More recent vintages are $70 and up for this wine. I don’t know how much more this could possibly cost?

True, but the price has been about the same since the 2002 vintage.