TN: 2001 Ridge Monte Bello - Why oh Why?

Big fan of Ridge MB… but I’ve had Cabs at least as good from Ridge that came from York Creek and Jimsomare, honestly maybe even better* (talking early 80’s to mid 90’s here).

*less oak.

Unfortunately, drank my last bottle of this a few months back at a farewell dinner for one of our favorite BYOB spots in Boston. It was amazing. Also opened several 1960’s and 1970’s Ridge Zins at that dinner which were in surprisingly great shape.

I agree that there are some Napa Cabs that remain reasonable values… as per another thread, Frog’s Leap leaps to mind, along with Chappellet and I’m sure some others.

The fact remains that many if not most Napa Cabs for me are unpleasant ooze monsters sporting 95 or higher ratings, selling for $100, often $200 and sometimes much higher price tags, and meeting Victor’s description of ego, wallet, Real Estate and (he didn’t use the word) braggadocio.

There are others that work for me below Frog’s Leap and Chappellet, less ambitious, often as good, lower price points. Martini Napa (Gallo), Charles Krug (shockingly good for the money after being forgotten for decades), and I’d take an Educated Guess that there are others.

Dan Kravitz

+1
Except a few mountain cabs

Make that a +2, especially if you include mountain cabs as Mark notes. I am going to wait quite a while before I drink the small amount of 2001 MB that I have, but Mark’s posts about longevity of well stored 1977’s has me questioning my previously held feeling that I should soon drink my last bottle of the 1992 MB.

We have about 4 left. My favorite California Cabs have been 1987 Kathryn Kennedy and 1979 Roudon Smith. Both from the Santa Cruz Mtns.

I had a bottle of 1964 MB when it was 52 yo, and it was still pretty good!