TN: 2001 Bodegas Roda Rioja Roda II Reserva (Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja)

• 2001 Bodegas Roda Rioja Roda II Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (6/13/2009)
    Color still youthful in appearance. Wonderful nose of ripe red cherries and strawberries but mixed with an earthiness. Very nice balance on the palate between the red fruit, acid and the oak. The finish is rustically coarse and lengthly. Overall this is a very nice old world style wine that also has true fruit. For me this is a drink or hold.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice to see some Roda love! This is a producer that, despite the hefty dollop of oak, I really enjoy. I think the wines are well balanced, not over ripe or over extracted, impeccably made, and very ageworthy. They get a bit of a “modernist” tag but I would argue they walk the line between the traditional and modern much more so than someone like Artadi… The 2001 Roda II is just starting to drink well, and I think the Roda I is probably a year or so away from getting to the same place. I view them more like a higher quality version of Muga S.E.

Josh,
Have you had any older vintages of this wine?
I think my local has the 2000 and 1999 left of the II and I.
Are they worth a look in your opinion?

Hi John,

99 and 00 are not as strong in Rioja as 01 was by any means. I think that 96, 98 and 99 are all pretty decent vintages though. 00 was pretty hot. I’ve had the 98 Roda I but I think it was a less than perfect bottle so I can’t really comment on it. The 99s are pretty good wines but not as good as 01, I haven’t had the 00s.

Leo brought some of the Roda bottlings to Flannery Fest where I got to try them for the first time. Very impressive wines.