TN: 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard

Having recently been blown away by another '01 Sleepy Hollow, this note is a bit of a comparison on the two as the Sleepy experience is still fresh in my head. There’s that and the fact that the '97 Pisoni from Bob Fleming’s cellar is etched in my mind as one of the finest CA Pinots I’ve ever experienced.
I didn’t decant the Pisoni last night.

• 2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir Pisoni Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/25/2015)
    The wine looks rich with its deeper purple hues. It smells rich, with sweet fruit and some earth tones. Palate shows a young, lush fruit that leans toward blue rather than red. It’s loaded and tight. To me, the acidity is a little more hidden than I’d ideally like. The wine feels new world-ish to me, where the Sleepy Hollow could pass as a red Burgundy imo. It’s a very good wine, but it still needs time (more than a couple years?) to unpack and unwind and let some tertiary flavors emerge. __

Posted from CellarTracker

Last time I had the 1999 Arcadian Pisoni, it was still seemingly in need of more aging. I guess that shouldn’t be too surprising, given '99 burgs of good pedigree still need time.

I have one lone bottle of this, as I just posted on the other thread. I also have 2003, 2005, 2007 of the Pisoni. I have never had the opportunity to try the same vintage, different vineyard designate, side-by-side. That would be interesting.

I do think sometimes I have a slightly different take on wines I drink for pleasure, since I am in the Cabernet business. I don’t tend to dissect “pleasure wines” as much as many of you guys do. Too much like work.

Just don’t drink this '01 any time soon, Merrill!

+1.

The '00 Pisoni, on the other hand, is at a really nice place right now.

Thanks for the tasting note and the above comment. I have one left and will keep my hands off it for a few more years, maybe…

I won’t!