TN: 2000 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

I promised to report back on this one. Gorgeous bottle. No harm in drinking it now, but a long life ahead.

• 2000 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/1/2016)
    Popped and gently poured. Color was a solid and completely clear deep red, with zero signs of dissipation, even around the edges. Beautifully seductive nose, aromatic richness you could almost feel. Layers of violets and leather and licorice and vibrant sweet young fruit, with a hint of smoke. Classic Barolo, unabashedly nebbiolo. In the mouth, its balance was what struck me first. Then its depth and power. There was nothing rough or awkward about this bottle - quite the opposite, it displayed elegance and refinement. While quite primary, and with firm structure, it was easy to drink and did not give the impression of being closed. In fact, the wine seemed delighted to be released and was eager to please. The first 30 minutes in the glass were the best, though, and it began to shut down after that, becoming harder and less friendly with the additional air. I definitely would not give this wine an extended decant at this point in its evolution.

Posted from CellarTracker

Glad that your bottle also showed really well. Thanks for the excellent note.