TN: 2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca's Cuvée

2000 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (6/19/2022)
This felt like the perfect bottle to open for Father’s Day; it’s a wine I’ve always loved, and it was made by a father for his daughter. Cheers!

– decanted 1 hr. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: high-toned and expressive; firmly red-fruited (boysenberry/cranberry/rhubarb/cherry mix); slight smoky aspect.

BODY: slightly hazy; garnet color with slight bricking throughout; color is of medium-shallow to medium depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: no tannins; high acidity; earthy/savory and red-fruited – dirty strawberry, rhubarb, and boysenberry; more tertiary than primary now, with the fruit seemingly starting to fade away; medium-light to medium oak note; little hint of spice (perhaps oak-derived). Drink Now and over the near term. Such a wonderful wine!

50, 5, 13, 18, 9 =(95 pts.)

1 Like

Nice!! I have consumed all my late 90s and early 00s Arcadians. Fond memories. Great wines. This sounds perfect. Cheers.

If you ever find yourself in Los Angeles with a couple hours to spare, send me a message, we can meetup, and I’ll pull a couple older Arcadian corks for us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hell yeah! :+1:

Just drank the 2001 and it’s still singing. Short decant.

While I generally am pretty accurate with my cellar tracker, a couple bottles of 00 Francesca were buried and not in inventory, a pleasant surprise to come across!
Popped and poured at cellar temp, dark core, but some fading at the rim. Very savory nose, with black tea, damp earth, sandalwood and just a hint of dark fruit.
Lovely texture, savory cranberry fruit and some nice pepper on the finish, but a touch dilute. I think this may be sleeping a bit and may need a little time open to show its stuff.

2 Likes

Great find, and Yum!

Drinking one of these (my favorite of Joe’s wines) tonight in honor of Fu’s thread that I can’t seem to find? Anyways nose of black cherry earth and dust, palate black cherry cranberry black tea tertiary notes, acidity is bright. Color is still strong with only slight fading at the rim. Fully mature and still cruising along.

3 Likes

Excellent! So great this is still firing on all cylinders.