TN: 1999 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben

1999 Weingut Willi Bründlmayer Grüner Veltliner Alte Reben - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (2/15/2016)
Fully mature and delicious. Fresh orange peel and spice accompany a lingering cress and lime core, with a forest floor/leafy finish. The acidity is mouthwatering, and makes the wine too easy to drink. If you have any of this, do yourself a favor and open some.

Posted from CellarTracker

This is good motivation to leave some of my bottles of more recent vintages alone for a while. I love Brundlmayer’s entire range. Really fantastic wines at fair prices.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think they need to sit for 17 years.

Generally I think they’re in a good place at around age 10.

Yeah, about 10 is what my goal has been. It’s nice to know some vintages can go well beyond that. I don’t know, but I suspect the GV Spiegel bottling will have an even longer aging curve than the Alte Reben. Any experience with that one as it ages?

No. I was always focused on the Alte Reben, and actually lost touch with the bottling after 1999. Have bought more Gobelsburg than Brundlmayer due to better pricing for equivalent quality.

Still have some 1995 and 1997 Brundlmayer Alte Reben in the cellar.

That 1995 was the first aged gruner I ever had. Back in 2004 Joe Dougherty opened one for my going away dinner when I was leaving Manhattan for Jersey City. It opened my eyes as to what gruner could do with some age. Sigh.

I love Gobelsburg. I used to buy more of their wines than anyone else in Austria. Lately it’s been Brundlmayer because both their Riesling Heiligenstein Lyra and Gruner Veltliner Vincents Spiegel are on my short list of favorites from anyone in Austria.