TN: 1999 Lucien Le Moine Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes

• 1999 Lucien Le Moine Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru (6/5/2013)
    This wine is in a terrific spot. What a revelation what a properly aged burg can morph into. The nose explodeds from the glass with light red cherry and asian spice. It’s so light and airy it glides across your palate and is a wonderfull collage of flavor. Very balanced and silky fine.The wine was decanted for 30 minutes and then followed in the glass for about 90 minutes and it continued to reach new highs up to the last sip. No rush i believe but so good right now. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice job. This sounds really tasty. Thanks for the note.

Good news I’ve heard many people bemoan older vintages of llm, nice to hear they age well.

I’d like that wine!
alan

It really was in excellent shape and as I’ve had some 09 and 10 Chambolle recently it was great to have some perspective on the potential of these wines. In terms of Vintages for Charmes how would 2002 compare to 99 ? I’ve heard positive general feelings as a whole on both vintages ?

I like the wines in general, I’ve found that the ‘oak’ gets absorbed fairly well into the wines as time passes.
My comment was more directed at what many people have written up, by different strokes for different folks.

I own both 99’ and 02’ up and down the lineup as I purchased many a auction years ago for a fraction of what they sell for now.

Jason

If the CM Charmes is this good, imagine how tasty the Amoureuses must be!

Back in Boston and went back to Troquet last night and had this again. Similiar to the note above. The nose is so expressive. My wife told me to shut up and drink it. About an hour decant this time and continued to develop in glass. I believe this still has further upside.

If your in Boston I highly recommend Troquet. Wonderful wine list and the food was spot on. Finished with a small glass of 2003 d’Yquem.

[rofl.gif]

When it is THAT good, we need somebody to bring us back down to earth, no?
Good to hear that such an early LLM wine is showing so well. I’m a particular fan of his Haut Doix…
Cheers!

Exactly… The cool part was my 17 year old daughter for the first time liked a wine. In the past she complained of only tasting alcohol. No burn on this and she liked how it tasted. Could be in trouble.

Picked up a few of his 08 Haut Doix. Have any thoughts on it ?

Hmmm, '08 Haut Doix, I don’t recall tasting that in barrel, nor it being offered to me.
I think of the '09 and '10, which were both absolutely stunning…
Starting your 17 year old daughter on the Burg bug could indeed be a dangerous thing, dad.
Shouldn’t she have to suffer through college experiences of horrific plonk, and then slowly climb the ladder through Purgatory, or just straight to heaven??