TN: 1999 Domaine de Courcel Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens

• 1999 Domaine de Courcel Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard 1er Cru (11/13/2014)
    Drunk over two evenings, during which time it barely changed. Best after two hours’ air. Colour dark red, just browning at the rim. Once it opened, a lovely, mellow bouquet of old spices, rusty autumn leaves, warm dusty earth, black pepper, a little tobacco leaf and dried herbs, with a suggestion of old leather horse saddle. Also dried red berry notes and a little chalk. A shade below medium weight on the palate, elegant and relatively complex. The flavour profile is intriguing, not linear, as it moves across the palate. Good acids still present, in balance and proportion. The tannins may once have been aggressive but they are now seamlessly integrated. Flavours of rusty iron, dry earth, red berries, spices and cloves. Really good length, finishes savoury and dry, with some chalky minerals. Open for business right now, but just beginning to go secondary, so years to go. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I had the pleasure of drinking the '96 recently- a lovely wine. Just beginning to enter what I suspect is a long drinking window. I think, in general, this wine is a bit underrated…

I back filled on a couple of cases of de Courcel. Looking forward to tasting them when they mature a bit.

Todd, yes, definitely underrated IMO. Lovely at this sort of age or more. It would be interesting to compare the '99 with a '96, I wouldn’t be surprised if the '99 is further along. But recent '96s I have had have all been coming together well …

Sanjay, sounds good. I’d be interested to read your impressions when you do try one.

Great note, Howard.
I recently got some more '93 and '96 so thanks, Todd, for that brief take on '96.
Agree that this wine often over delivers.
Cheers.

I just realized Howard’s note was about the Rugiens! I was referring to the Epenots…

Jan 1 2023 - a pop and pour. Initial taste is a bit rustic with a bit of browning at the rim; a great secondary nose of mushrooms, dried leaves, soy; the tannins are smooth and the finish is long. My third bottle of a 6 pack bought on release.

Some black sherry after being opened and the tannins came forward some.

1 Like

I love this wine. The ‘05 is insanely good, even now in its youth.

IMO Courcel is one of the most underrated producers in Burgundy. Unfortunately, even underrated wines have shot up in price.

Dan Kravitz