TN: 1999 Chateau Magdelaine, St. Emilion

This is a really lovely Magdelaine, but not necessarily a profound Magdelaine. It’s in prime drinking window, unlike some other more significant vintages of close proximity, like 2000, 1995, and apparently according to Mark and Jayson, the 1998.

Decanted one hour.

Dried red fruits, forest floor, leather and old plank on the nose. Hint of herbs. Medium weight on the palate, crisp red fruits and some subtle plummy darks. Sweet tart, grainy-textured finish, with a slight bitter pith note, tannins reasonably integrated. Elegant rusticity, if that makes any sense. Feels like a Cab Franc vintage for Magdelaine in this 1999.

(91 pts.)

F8660891-E5A2-47A0-B910-B3D8B5DD7CCC.jpeg
DCA0529C-FE06-41D2-825B-D140BF09D991.jpeg

1 Like

Elegant rusticity makes perfect sense.

Lovely color and great note.

I need more of these in my life.

They are more approachable in general vs their more “favorable” vintages however I do think these will just continue to evolve and be the one of the best values of the 90s.

I can’t recall if I’ve had ‘99 Magdelaine.

I opened my only bottle of ‘99 VCC (a one-off purchase) for the Zoom crew a few weeks ago, and it was very much in the same vein as you describe. Lovely, tasty, drinking pretty well now, but unlikely to ever be profound in the way VCC often is.

But who knows. In the Bordeaux scheme of things, these 1999s are young.