TN: 1999 Chateau Lanessan. This is why we do it.

The 2016 Beychevelle is priced about the same as the readily available, and delicious, 1989 Bechevelle. Around $125 +/-.

No-brainer right there.

[thankyou.gif] … Robert. Those names mentioned above - for examples : Meyney, Carems Haut Brion…Louviere…- sure bought back lots of memory for my early life.

I just finished checkings SAQ webs and the prices for the above names have gone up … rolleyes .

I don’t think Beychevelle’s price ever really recovered from the Chinese craze period. It’s a very good wine but I think there are other St.Juliens which offer the same or more for less.

Robert - good point about recent pricing - there are literally dozens of CCs which are releasing wines at the same prices as older vintages which are ready for drinking. Hard to see the point in buying them. Chasse-Spleen has got too expensive for me but I don’t remember reading that it’s gone all spoofy. Brillette is a good alternative at a Monday night price.

It’s hard to list CB bankers now, as they tend to change a lot in style (and sometimes price) over the years. I like Citran but was disappointed by a recent 2005, I like Caronne Ste Gemme but was underwhelmed by the 2015 - my only real banker which has never disappointed is Larose Trintaudon (and Perganson).

Meyney 1999 is available at CD $96.75 (1424-9691) at SAQ …

Just my 2 cents but I wouldnt spend that much on '99 meyney

Thank you for indulging me.

Do you prefer the 15 or 16? I grabbed a case of the 14s and need to tuck some more bottles away for long term.

Lanessan 15 or 16? Bear in mind these are the vintages where Bouard became involved. I have notes posted on this site, I prefer 2014 much more.

Not chance. Even the greatest Bordeaux QPR ever - the 1986 Meyney - pops up occasionally on WineBid for $50-$60. That and La Lagune for a few quid more.

I enjoyed the '15 Lanessan the one time I tried it. It’s not over the top in any way.

Granted I am more tolerant of a drift (as opposed to a swerve) towards modernity than Alfert. It’s just personal preferences.

1 Like

Where is Charmail these days on the stylistic spectrum?

The last Charmail I tried was the 09 - very rich and 14° - probably not your cup of char, but there again you like Belle-Vue so what do I know?

1 Like

Agreed - I think pre-2005 it was of a similar style to others mentioned in this thread, then it went bigger in style

I think the bottle got bigger too - always a bad sign!

Well, by the same owner, I really prefer Bolaire. It’s a quirky but interesting - and quite cheap - wine with a very healthy cut of old vine petit Verdot, like 50%. Belle Vue has a nice cut of PV as well, and I think is now releasing a 100% PV bottling. I have not tried it yet, but would like to grab some.

Wine Advocate: 92 points

This new cuvée from Belle-Vue is produced on a 2.04-hectare parcel. This 100% Petit Verdot wine comes from old vineyards planted in 1936, 1940 and 1950 whose average age in 2016 was 77 years. It was aged in French oak, 20% new, with 15% of production matured in amphorae. It was aged for a total of 14 months. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Le Petit Verdot by Belle-Vue opens with provocatively earthy notes emerging on the nose of fertile loam, tar and scorched earth with a red and black currants core plus a hint of wild thyme. Medium to full-bodied with a firm, grainy texture from nicely ripe tannins, it has a great core of expressive fruit and a long mineral-tinged finish. About 833 cases were made.

Understand, agreed and merci…

I will use the money to but more Albert Bichot - Bourgnone v.v. 2017 at CA $18.80 ( with an automatic 15% discount for a purchase of 12 bottle or more ).

I was teasing! Actually, I was a bit surprised you liked Belle-Vue having tried and disliked the rather kirschy 2011, but since our tastes are normally fairly close, your thumbs-up made me reconsider. I opened a 2010 in your honour and will report back tomorrow, although the first sip was promising - modern, but not OTT.

I know you are kidding, Sheez I got thicker skin than Tannat! It’s funny how the cepage itself can skew how much modernity that I can palate in a Bordeaux. CF and PV help.

Regarding the 2016 Chasse Spleen - I don’t know anything about the wine making or consultants, but going purely off taste, they seem to be fairly traditional still. I had a bottle a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it - preferred over other recent bottles of 2016 Cantemerle and 2016 Sociando.

Thanks Ryan, really helpful. I bought a few splits but am thinking of getting more. Leve’s note describes a pretty classic wine, so that’s good too.

Inspired by the thread, I have in front of me a 2003 Lanessan, which I’ve owned since release in the hope of something like the OP transpiring.

The wine is decent, certainly drinkable. But (no surprise really) it’s a bit flabby and lacking in verve. I have finished off my case of 2000 in the last year or two, always enjoyed. The 2005 is still drinking very well and I still have a few. 2003 Lanessan has never been as good as either of those vintages, and while it’s still ticking it would have been better drunk up 5-10 years ago. I love the OP delivery of 89 points for the '99 as being a glowing review. So old school. I’m giving the 03 a solid 87.