TN:1998 Vieux Chateau Certan

We tried this last night with our Christmas Eve steak. On the nose, lovely floral and fruit aromas (my wife thought she detected some chocolate)–with a whiff of something earthen–that became somewhat muted after about twenty minutes. On the palate, a beautiful, fresh, lively mouthful of cherry/plum tastes with a sort of herbal/earthen substructure. Excellent stuff! We basically popped and poured–decanting the wine probably would have yielded an even better result.

This wine is fantastic. It had been decanted for about 45 minutes . So beautifully put together. Silky. A wonderful experience.

Good to know, Randall and Don; I’ve got a single bottle and since I’m not getting any younger I’ll probably open it sooner rather than later.

I have a single bottle too. Sounds like it’s in a great place to open soon.

I’m another with a solo bottle, and based on the TN’s I’ve seen would have thought this wine to be still very young yet with plenty of tannin to resolve. Maybe not.

Sounds great. See you soon.

A VCC vertical might be fun to try at one of our OLs, Howard. Anyway, I hope you and your family had a great time on your visit to the west coast–looking forward to seeing you next week.

I love this wine, along with various other Merlot based Bordeaux from the vintage. Hope all is well Randall.

Best,

I like the 98 right banks generally more than their 00 comparables.

Nice to hear about the VCC.

Yet to taste the '98 VCC but '98 Tertre Roteboeuf and Figeac are marvelous.

I opened a '98 VCC a few weeks back and agree with the general trend of comments. Amazingly gorgeous right banker, in a great place on the front end of what I think will be a wonderful aging curve. Powerful rich nose, and great palate, not at all too tannic, though enjoyed over a rich meal. Sorry I didn’t take formal notes, some dinners you just have to savor what’s in your glass.

Randy,
Nicely done. Happy holidays!

The best dinners you savor. No use working at it. Happy New Year!