TN: 1998 Domaine Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée (France, Burgun

• 1998 Domaine Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée (5/8/2010)
    Uncorked and served immediately with dinner. Medium ruby color. Nose was fresh and floral, laced also with scents of raspberry, anise, sandlewood, and market spices. Medium-bodied with smoothly-textured still-forward fruit, mostly black cherry and plum, layered with licorice, mineral, and earth. Very good acidity and fairly unobtrusive tannins resolving into a medium-length but quite harmonious finish. All-of-a-piece, well-integrated wine which would give many premiers a run for their money. Just delicious. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

A very useful note Doug as I found a couple of bots of 98 Chaumes in the cellar recently. I recall trying it 4 or 5 yrs ago and it was as tough as old boots then.

Sounds lovely. Thanks for the note.

I had the 98 Vosne “Haut Maizieres” last fall and found it fairly tough and decided to hold off another 3-4 years before trying it again or the 1er’s.

Kent, Dennis, Josh,

Perhaps I got lucky because it was a entry level village wine and may have matured a bit faster. At any rate, could not beat it for QPR.

Went back and got another bottle today.

Cheers,
Doug

His '98 VR les Suchots drunk around 2 years ago was delicious–drinking well now, but will hold for several years.
I stumbled on to a lone bottle of the RSV recently, but am planning to cellar it for a bit longer prior to pulling the cork.

Andy,

Nice. Either of them would be quite a treat.

Cheers,
Doug

The Suchots is my absolute favorite in the Arnoux portfoglio … haven´t tasted the 1998 for a while but it was very promising in its youth.
The difference between it and the RSV is sometimes only tiny (despite the price).
I didn´t buy the straight village - good to hear that it´s fine, too …

Hi Gerhard,

Thanks for that. I will now start scouring the area for the Suchots.

The village was an unexpected pleasure.

Best,
Doug

Doug, the wine sounds absolutely lovely.

I’ve had the 1998 VR les Suchots within the last six months and there is nothing hard about it, although it will hold another ten years or so. Really drinking nicely at the moment.

Charlie,

Having picked up this bottle for around 50 bucks with 12 years of age already on it and seemingly great provenance, I was hoping for a good showing and was thoroughly delighted that it did just that.

Mike,

Nice that the 98 Suchots has made an “appearance”. Thanks for the data point.

Cheers,
Doug

Good find. Was this at retail? The 98s were the first Arnoux’s I tasted but did end up with any in my cellar. Love the Suchots but at the moment it is a little out of my price range.

Jason

Jason,

Yes, indeed. These two bottles were located on a retailer’s shelf about two weeks ago and for the price I had to grab one.

Cheers,
Doug