TN: 1998 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Tradition

1998 Domaine Monpertuis (Paul Jeune) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Tradition - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (7/17/2016)
If you want to know what it’s like when a good wine begins a graceful decline, open a bottle of this. There is still a sweet edge to the fruit, but it’s also showing the subtle notes of decay that signal a wine in the last stages of life. Browning on the edges, oxidative and earthy touches around the fruit and dried/decaying leaves and brown tobacco on the finish signal full maturity and beyond. It’s lovely to drink now, but I also satisfied with this being my last bottle.

Posted from CellarTracker

Those 98 CNDPs kept well though though.

Well, I don’t think a 98 should be in decline. Some 98s, the usual suspects–VT, Pegau, Charvin–are still doing very well. Many others have aged faster than one might have thought they would.

Some “regular” 1998s are fully mature now … and of course it depends on (warm/cool) storage conditions how developed they actually are now …

But usually the most top/special-cuvees (when made) should still be going strong and have a potential of improving for some years … again if well stored/shipped!

(2 years ago a member of our monthly tasting group served 3 1998s CdP blind and stated that all are going downhill now … the vintage is highly overrated … etc. … (two out of 3 were really quite tired) …
Next time I served two of them from MY own cellar - and they were quite youthful … it seems that he´s purchased his bottles in GB … and probably from a less than perfect source …)

Provenance: purchased on release from a retailer with excellent storage conditions. The importer/distributor chain has also been very reliable on provenance for a long time. Cellared at 53-55 since purchase. No doubt buying at the cellar door would be better, but the airfare would have made a $35 wine much more expensive.

It was in decline, but on a very pretty downslope.

David,
my comment was meant generally, not specifically regarding your bottle.
Quite a lot of “regular, classic” 1998 cuvees are now fully mature … which is not a bad thing if one looks for earlier satisfying drinking … (and some even might be already declining).

On the other hand there is no need to hurry drinking up the top-cuvees, especially if well-known for their longivity …

My problem is more that the 98’s were so awesome that it was difficult to save them. Still have a few left, but they are now consumed more thoughtfully, than the reckless glugging of a long ago time.

I think I have 4 or 5 bottles left (Pegau, VT and a couple of Beaucastel and maybe one more).