TN: 1998 Domaine du Pégau Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée

I found the '03 Charvin drinkable, even decent. Otherwise, an undrinkable vintage across the board to my palate.

The exception that makes mine “virtually” was also Charvin. Only ever had one though.

I’ll have to find an 04 to try, as I remember not thinking much of it upon release. But I had so much 98 and 01 in my cellar, that perhaps that colored my impressions.

I wish I could remember the vintages, but there were a couple of Capos from post 2002 that also seemed over the top to me.

Aaah, my memory is now jogged.

I thought Charvin would also be an exception in 2007, but I didn’t see it that way with my opened bottle from last year. I unloaded my remainders.

I like the 03 Charvin much better than most 03s but not as much as most other Charvins. You can’t escape the vintage. I hold out hopes for the 07 Charvin CdP. The 07 Cotes de Rhone, though not his best, had evolved nicely by age 10. On the other hand, 07s are 13 years old now and, while good CdPs, and all Charvins, go much longer than that, I am always suspicious of a CdP that isn’t showing well after age 10. The wines usually show their stripes by then.

1 Like

Based on the comments, I tried a 2010 and I stand corrected, seemed like a young version of the Pegaus I loved in 01 and earlier. Happy to have a CdP that I enjoy, I sort of wrote off the region

1 Like