TN: 1998 Bartolo Mascarello Barolo

Full translucent red at it’s core, shading lighter as it moves out towards the rim. The still mostly primary nose features cherry fruit and forest floor. On the palate, the wine is medium-bodied, again with nice sweet cherry fruit. I think this wine has a lot of potential for further development, but it is surprisingly open for business right now as well. I find it somewhat ironic that 10 years after the vintage, two of the most accessible wines for current drinking (this wine and Giuseppe Mascarello’s Monprivato) were produced by two of the most traditionally-styled winemakers in Piemonte. [cheers.gif]

99 B. Mascarello opened last weekend matched your note on the 98.
Still very primary, but surprisingly open. And showing all the elements to age well for many years.

I was surprised how open it was given the rep of this producer.

Tasted an '89 on Monday that was a lot tighter than this.

Scott, your note is even more interesting, as I consider '99 to be a more “classic” vintage than '98. Still, I am grateful the wine is showing well young, as it allows me to have patience yet still drink a nice Barolo while I wait for my stash of Cascina Francia to re-emerge from it’s slumber [wink.gif]

I opened the 99 only because I was looking for something extravagant to reward myself after a bad week. Perhaps the first time I’ve opened a 10 year old wine and considered it infanticide.

The 99 was fine but so primary and therefore relatively simple - really a waste compared to what I’d expect it to become in another several years. The promising combination of tasty concentrated fruit, good structure and none of the flaws young(ish) Barolo can show - no raisin/prune notes; no excessive heat; no heavy oak. It really gives me confidence that the 99 wants another 10 years or more and then it will be dazzling.