TN: 1997 DRC Romanée-Conti

I didn’t quite realized how relatively affordable RC was back then. It just goes to show how stupid prices have gotten in recent years.

They soaked the cork themselves.

The top of the cork looked grimey as well…perhaps a leaker?

If you really want your mind blown, 2000 DRC Echezeaux was $150 on release. 2000 La Tache was $400.

Sad. At least some of the world’s best Scotch is still around $400… or are the Mainland Chinese buyers going to take all that, too?

“Another national disease called wet completely” … if you watch this on YouTube and turn on subtitles (in Korean, huh??) and then select auto-translate it is actually quite bizarre. They followed this up with a Richebourg and have several videos - Montrachet, Petrus, Cristal, La Tour, Lafite, Colgin … I can’t understand but every 50th word (renminbi, lav-en-dar, arooma) but I can’t stop watching …

Mark, you’ve clearly never seen this clip:

[video]- YouTube

Watch this video, Mark. Be a man. Do the right thing.

Do The Right Thing? Don’t mind if I do!

[popcorn.gif]

this isn’t anything new with DRC or Leroy. You’ll see a lot of soaked through corks but no leakage.

I’ve heard of Leroy leakers because of the extremely high fill of the bottles. Despite the leaking the bottles are apparently ok.

yep, doesn’t happen a ton but it happens enough to be known

Is the same true for DRC?

no leakers with properly cared for DRC.

90 DRC RC was $600, LT $233 on release. That should blow your mind. And it sat on shelves, easy to find.

But the corks soak through on relatively young bottles?

1990s is an entirely different world.

We were looking at some houses in the Bellevue area… selling now for 1-1.1M… records show some were bought in 1992/1993 for 190K…
so a $233 LT is really ‘that’ surprising…

Those home prices are quite impressive, but '90 RC on release for $600? Good Lord.
image.jpg

Lt 1990 was released by SAQ in Quebec, Canada at CAD$347 and RC at CAD $859. [cheers.gif]