TN: 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Les Sommets d'Harys

• 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Les Sommets d’Harys - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (9/5/2012)
    From what I can gather, a one off cuvee representing the pinnacle of syrah (“les sommets d’harys”) from what the Jamets have always regarded as one of their greatest years.

A deep purple/ black robe. No sign of age.

The wine opens with immense concentration on the nose - tar, coffee, tapenade, cocoa and dried meat. A traditional Jamet bouquet but taken to a whole new level. This is what Guigal’s La Landonne would smell like if not slathered in oak.

On the palate, the wine shows lovely concentration of sweet black fruits. Green and black olives, salami and cherries. Very well balanced with good acidity and a hefty tannic backbone.

This compares very favourably with my two favourite Jamets, the 91 and 99 Brunes.

Posted from CellarTracker

One of the bottlings I never got to try. If it compares to 91 or 99 CB then it must be really, really good.

12/6/2010 rated 97 points: 1997 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie Les Sommets d’Harys –
Dark, Inky and Stinky. A formidable, totally outstanding bottle from a somewhat overshadowed vintage in the Northern Rhone. I would venture to say potentially perfect. It was getting better every visit.
Bloody, dark broody venison, salty tempenade, swirling bacon, berry flavours. Sublime texture, Very difficult to drink as I just wanted to sniff, swirl and stare at this intoxicating beauty, way, way above any of my expectations, I hope my remaining 2 bottles come as close. 97+ (785 views)

A sick wine, truly