TN: 1996 Château Léoville Barton (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien )

NOSE: expressive and intense; brie; dark fruits (cassis); graphite; hint of oak.

BODY: purple-garnet color of medium-deep depth; medium-full bodied; looked younger than its 14 years.

TASTE: leather with a juicy boysenberry/blackberry/plum mix going on; earthy; good concentration of fruit; tannins are still slightly drying; good acidity; no noticeable alcohol; well-balanced; long finish of moderate intensity; no crime to drink this now, but will improve with more time in the cellar: say, 5 - 10 more years.

B: 50, 5, 13, 17, 8 = (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is about the only vintage of LB since 1985 that I don’t own and haven’t tried… sounds like I should look for some. One of my favorite Bdx producers, year-in and year-out. Nice note…

Given that you’re a fan of the winery, I’d say try to find one; it’s not going to blow your mind, but I would think you’d enjoy it enough to not regret the purchase. P.S.: forgot to toot my horn in earlier post: I called the vintage blind. [oops.gif] newhere

Nice call!

I’ve noted that of the 3 Léoville estates, Barton seems to always have a distinctive “neatness” amongst the 3 - everything tucked in nicely and neatly.

Best,

N

I have limited experience with Las Cases and Poyferre, but Barton is definitely for me.

I’ve shared both the '95 and '96 bottlings in the last year and I thought they were tremendous efforts. Not to the level of the 95/96 Cos d’Estournel for me, but great wines in their own right.

I just had a 6 pack of '03 Leoville Barton’s show up today. Luscious…layered, but new-school Barton.

This is a lovely wine and pretty much mature at this point to my taste- really nice drink. Poyferre and Las Cases are not yet ready although I worry about Poyferre a bit in terms of whether it will soften enough soon enough

Thanks for cracking one. Guess I can let mine sleep some more.

Your welcome for the note; it was my buddy who made the sacrifice, though. [cheers.gif]