TN: 1995 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Brand Vendange Tardive (France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru)

• 1995 Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Brand Vendange Tardive - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (12/26/2020)
    After a series of underperforming wines I decided to open a bottle with great provenance and a great reputation. It lived up to both. Grilled apricot, butterscotch and bright acidity, with a deep richness through the mid-palate, it resembles a gold capsule Auslese or Beerenauslese with the spicy richness and depth of sweetness. I think it’s time to drink, as there is a hint of volatility as the wine warms, but that’s only a minor quibble. The wine is strutting around like a general on the parade grounds, ready for its last campaign.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great wine. I brought my only bottle to a birthday party for Brad Kane a few years ago, and it was really great after it opened up. The last glass was even better the next day.

I left a glass for tomorrow.

Ha, I needed some poetry this evening, and you have provided :slight_smile:. This note makes me smile, both having had this wine, and knowing what a tremendous ambassador you are for Rieslings in all forms, rich styles included.

One of my favorite notes of yours.

1 Like

I love ZH’s VTs but they are so hard to find nowadays. When I was young they were easy to find, even the PA state store had them!

I loved this wine around 2008-2012, but drank the last one of 9 bottles in '13, and thought it was definitely ready then unless you wanted more honeyed flavors. It had such great balance early, though, that it doesn’t surprise me it’s still doing well.