TN: 1995 Edmunds St. John Mourvèdre L'enfant Terrible (USA, California)

yeah, i guess since they’re from his cellar?

1995 Durrell was seminal wine for me. Went through a ton of it.

1 Like

co-sign. '94 and '95 for me.
I get that wines appreciate, and more power to all-around good guy, Steve Edmunds. But the beauty of his wines to me was that for $25-$30 you could get your mind turnt a bit.
Appreciation, rarity, yadda yadda- life goes on. Glad I tasted them when i could!
@David_Bu3ker is still holding so he needs to throw a party at his place.

1 Like

and they aged beautifully. i may buy one lol.

1 Like

I think you should. I think you have my email for the invite :smiley:

Just checked…of what Chambers is selling I still have (all on release purchases) the 2001 W-F Syrah, the 2005 Bassetti Syrah, and both R&G bottlings. Then there’s all the other stuff downstairs, including three different vintages of Cotes Sauvages…ESJ galore!

One of the best tasting I ever held at my place. Can’t believe it’s been 13 years. These wines are all now more expensive. Apparently

1 Like

We did a huge ESJ tasting with John Gilman in May 2010. Fantastic evening. Who knew we were blowing so much money!

1 Like

co-sign on '95 durell.

also, I’d opened a mag of the '90 durell for my old nyc (leo’s) blind tasting group years ago. blew them away. folks were guessing verset/jamet when it was blinded, and it was an exceptional bottle, truly special.

2 Likes

i’ve never brought a screwcapped bottle into John’s home after that day.

Smart move, though I do think that Steve figured out the closure.

they don’t seem to be selling v well…

I absolutely adore the Cotes Sauvages, the 87 being a frontrunner for me, even more so since Steve confirmed the mourvedre came from Evangelho

1 Like

hard sell for geeky, under-radar brand? and those that know (rest of us) got our share before they were $300 per?

1 Like

Thinking back, I think my first ever post on WB may have been looking for interesting California rhone blends, and someone suggested Rocks and Gravel. Quickly took me down the ESJ rabbit hole

3 Likes

Just did a cellar list check, I have these ESJs still:

Durell Syrah 1996 x 1
Los Robles Viejo Rozet 2001 x 1
Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah 2005 x 3
Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah 2009 x 1
Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah 2010 x 2
Fenaughty Syrah 2011 x 2
Rocks & Gravel 2011 x 4
Fenaughty Syrah 2012 x 3
Rocks & Gravel 2012 x 3
Rocks & Gravel 2013 x 4
Gamay Noir Bone Jolly 2013 x 1
Rocks & Gravel 2015 x 3

Clearly, I need to organize a homage retrospective wine night. Who’s in?

2 Likes

Depends on when and where. My life becomes much more flexible as of July 1.

Relatively recent fan of the wines but… would definitely be interested.

1 Like

Something in the NYC area in mid June? We know (at least) a handful of fellow ESJ fans in the vicinity who would no doubt be up for such an affair.

Unfortunately May/June is going to be crazy for me. Gets better after that.

i’m game for anything around NYC, as you know…

1 Like