TN: 1995 Domaine Bruno Clair Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode

• 1995 Domaine Bruno Clair Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (11/12/2016)
    Popped and poured. Darker ruby, which was surprising. Swirling the glass coaxed scents of damp earth, stone, licorice, anise, and faint floral notes to come forth with growing persistence. The palate was a blueberry- and dark plum-infused edifice of stone and earth, relieved by tart berry notes and brambles. As the evening progressed the wine unlocked itself and revealed more sweetness and grip, but remained firmly tannic. Lovely refreshing acidity. Longer finish of brooding dark raspberry fruit cut with underbrush and iron. This bottle was barely out of the blocks and displayed its old vines beautifully. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I happened to pull this exact bottle from storage today and plan to drink it soon.

Sounds really nice, Doug.
I’m a fan of Dominode, sweet spot Savigny.
Would love to try some Clair. Nicely aged, this one.
Cheers.

Did you wish you had decanted it? (don’t intend to re-ignite the ‘never decant Burgundy’ discussion, but just wondering.

Michael,

Look forward to your note!

Dennis,

I have sampled the Pavelot bottling once, but this was my first go-round with the Clair Dominode. The bottle was indeed quite well-preserved.

John,

Yes, I wish I had. I was quite surprised (and glad) that it showed so young. Have two more of these so will act accordingly.

Cheers,
Doug

thanks, Doug. I’ve found that most any 1993, 95,96 Burg still needs lots of air. My own personal take would be to decant them.

Completely agree, John. Thanks for this.