TN: 1995 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste (France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac)

Isn’t that true of everything Jim says [wow.gif] ?

Funny thing about Jim is that he is a very soft touch for just about every style and producer of Bordeaux – as he would put it, a true Bordeaux Wine ENTHUSIAST – except GPL. He just picked them to discharge all his bad vibes on.

At BWE DC I intended to blind him on some 2000 and 2005 GPL but unfortunately lost track in the course of the festivities so never did it.

Thanks! Enjoy writing up my impressions.

Yea, yea . . . Now you bastiges have me looking for some! And then Jurgen mentioning brett, sealed the deal. [cheers.gif]

I am not brett sensitive and indeed I even like it in many of its manifestations (but no one likes cow pie). That said, I’ve never thought of GPL as bretty.

Yeah I have not detected brett in the three bottles of this wine I have had over the years, although I am not brett sensitive either.

Maybe I saved you some money there Robert!

I’m out!

I ended up ordering yet more 2018 Baudry. The Crush offer today of the Les Grezeaux in four-packs at 27.99 is stoopid good.

One fifth the price of the 95 GPL!

Sadly, you made me go and look and discover I had drunk my last of these. I still have some 2000, 01, and 05, so not too grim. Definitely right about the classicism.
FWIW I don’t think GPL and Les Grezeaux are fungible.

One fifth of my price would be $5 :slight_smile:

Last time I tried the 95 GPL (in 2018), I thought it was close to prime time, but still a few year away… My spidey sense told me this will go to another level when it hits 30.

Maybe he should just drink half-bottles of GPL, so that he can be more decisive about it. :slight_smile:

I’m sure I’ve tasted at least 40 vintages of GPL, making it well over 100 bottles and I’ve never noticed brett in any of the bottles I’ve tasted.

FWIW, count me in as a big fan of GPL. It’s a superb example of Pauillac.

Another person who has never noticed brett in GPL here. Now if you were saying Gruaud Larose…

Never noticed brett in any that I’ve previously had.

I don’t think of brett when I drink GPL.

Now Pegau or some other so.Rho might be a different story.

I’ve never found Brett in GPL either. Now any of the Cordier wines from the 80’s…

Really enjoying a bottle of this tonight. Beauty, savory, cool fruited cabernet here. Tannins resolved, leafy aromatics, smooth and delicious. Already terrific, but if more bottle age unleashes further depth here, this wine could become a legend.

Jeff,

I bought a lot of GPL. Vintages 1982, 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1995, 1996, … . Not long ago Panos was at my house. We talked about GPL and he mentioned that he had a discussion with a very well known Chateau owner recently about the subject. If my memory does not fool me the Chateau owner complained about brett in the 2000 vintage while tasting the wine with Panos. I went into my temp. controlled cellar and pulled a 1996 from a just opened OWC. We decanted the wine for about one hour. And what should I say – horse stable – a really healthy dose. A 1985 not long ago with a good amount of brett too.

It seems that some people are more sensitive to brett as others. But I have hard times to believe that people do not smell the barnyard aspect in the 85 and 96. And I speak only about these two vintages because my memory is very fresh and both wines are opened not long ago.

BTW: I do not see brett as a fault as long as it does not dominate the wines aroma entirely. The brett element in the 1996 was borderline but still tolerable. But definitely existent. Ask Panos.