TN: 1995 and 1996 Chateau Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau - Out of GrasslGlass Stems

Lol, just two posts above, I said that I would wait another five years. Not even I read my lame notes!

Plus I’m going to demand that he opens another one long b4 that! :stuck_out_tongue:

Joined the club! Sounds good anyway - I’m impressed you manage to track these down since they’re so hard to find.

I think I was sent some 2003 “Jean Gautreau” bottlings inadvertently via auction some years ago, but I’m not sure. Does “Jean Gautreau” appear on the label at all for the regular SM bottlings? I do see slightly different labels on my 2003 bottles . . .

I don’t know if this will work since I’ve never mastered the art of inserting photos here but the Cuvée Jean Gautreau just has the Jean Gautreau signature on the label with the little SM emblem above it.

Ah – No I’ve nothing like that, so I’ve only the regular '03 bottles. I’ve had many vintages, including '85, '86, '88, '90 (really good), '96, but the best I’ve had (and still drinking) is the 1982 Sociando Mallet.

Popped another 1995 Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau last night, finishing up the remaining 1/5 bottle tonight.

Another awesome showing, this 95 is closer to the base cuvee stylistically than the 2003, 06 and 09, which for me, shows more new oak. I wonder if that is an integration thing, just more time in the bottle needed. The 2001 remains the finest Sociando that I have ever had, the JG Cuvee, with the base cuvee being a definite top contender. Beautiful cool profile fruits ranging across the color spectrum with a very concentrated vein of red. Love the palate density, crisp acid and chalky minerality. Wafts of tobacco, mint and dry earth on the nose. A little dry on the finish, were I to nit a bit.

7554976F-BA63-4483-9D88-203293EC3B3B.jpeg

There is a healthy level of tannin in the 1996 Sociando, so it needs an hour minimum of air. I don’t see this resolving soon, at least before the fruit is gone. Even a few years ago the fruit was on the edge of being just barely enough, but we shall see…

Robert - that 95 sounds like my sort of wine - thanks for reminding me to open one! I may have missed it, but I don’t remember you posting about the 09 - I imagine it’s not even nearly ready yet, but what’s it like?

Carl - Do you mean the normal Sociando 96 or the Cuvée JG?

Julian this is from like a month or so ago, I jotted it down in the “what are you drinking now” thread

2009 Chateau Sociando Mallet Cuvee Jean Gautreau.

Still rather disjointed and woody. The oak presence and astringency is significant in this vintage. This is the youngest JG cuvee that I have had, and prior years did not show this much oak. I hope it all tunes down. Sticking it away for now.

Thanks Robert - that sounds more or less what I expected - to be tried in the distant future…

This wine has never appealed to me. Mossy rocks seem a descriptor.