TN: 1993 Grgich Hills Johannisberg Riesling Late Harvest (USA, California, Napa Valley)

This was kept in my wife’s family’s cabin in the mountains (in a cupboard) for who knows how long before I acquired it in 2011. Been keeping it ever since, and decided to open up for a birthday dinner. Note is after 2 days of being open and following the wine, which showed absolutely no signs of fading over that time.

Cork came out in one piece and pours a nice medium amber color into the glass. The nose wafts up vibrant scents of vanilla, butterscotch and caramel atop a background of pear fruit. The palate is surprisingly fresh, with a great swath of acidity keeping the unctuous texture in check. There are notions of clove, orange rind and pear skin that come and go over time. Really impressive and captivating stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

I know absolutely nothing about older Grgich Hills’ Late Harvest wines, let alone this particular bottle/vintage, but I cannot help but marvel at how well this wine delivers considering the poor storage and (if I can be honest) my preconceived notion that this wouldn’t be any good to begin with. This was a real triumph and a very pleasant surprise.

Awesome find!

Fun post. Sometimes the odd CA dessert wine can surprise us in unexpected ways.

Bruce

I love happy endings.

With wine too.