TN: 1990 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese

• 1990 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Beerenauslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/27/2018)
    I took this to NY for Rieslingfeier as I knew I’d be sitting with Herr Selbach. This was spectacular - much lighter in color than many of the younger Clos Ste Hunes on the table (well…pox had the best of the 1995-96s brought although the 1988 was spectacular). Just delicious - balanced, still sweet but with a great acidic edge to put that r.s. into harmony. Someone else brought a 1990 S-O Eiswein and while it was good, it couldn’t hold a candle to this one (Johannes murmured in my ear “Eiswein is the poor man’s sweet wine; BA is the noble wine” or words to that effect.)

bought by me from David S. while he was at Pearson’s and cellared since release.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sounds lovely.

I hope to get to Rieslingfeir someday. Glad I did not purchase a ticket this year, as I was sick.

Didn’t we share a bottle of that same wine many moons ago?

Pearson’s? Are they still around? The wine sounds great. I too would love to go to Rieslingfeier!

December 22, 2002 to be exact!

Saturday night was great. Gotto sitnext to Johannes who is great company.

Thanks for the fine note Maureen. That is a fantastic bottle of wine. It has this amazing clarity depth power and simultaneous lightness to it. Perfect acis-RS balance. Magical. I think your choice of the word harmony is perfect. I sadly have only one left. Also great to be able to share it in that company. Color me green. Thanks again.

Thanks for the nice note, Maureen. The metamorphosis that Riesling undergoes over time is fascinating. I was allowed to drink my first sip of an excellent off-dry Mosel Riesling in 1961 and, btw, I never became a fan of dry Riesling. BA Rieslings can be heavenly, but a comment like, “Eiswein is the poor man’s sweet wine; BA is the noble wine” sounds very strange to me.