TN: 1990 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

3Euro ($4) per gram was the worst that I saw at the height of the Alba truffle fair. 2 Euro/g would be normal. Last Christmas week, before my truffle man stopped hunting for the season, I took all that he had left at 1.50 Euro/g. I had a really great Xmas. New Year’s, too!

I clearly need a truffle man of my own.

Don’t we all…

Though still young, good bottles of the 90 CF are very good, in my experience equal or better than 90 Monprivato, Bartolo and Giacosa white labels. I love G Rinaldi Brunate Riserva, but I’d have to say that 85 and 89 were the finest I’ve ever encountered, and in neither case do I believe they bettered the CF. Finally, I too need a good truffle man!

I hear you, Carl, and do not disagree, but I personally would not choose 1990 as the year for making the comparisons that I have made. For me, it is a good, never great, hot-weather vintage with far too many flawed wines produced. In very few, if any, cases do the 1990 iterations stand up next to the 1989 versions of the same wines (there being no 1989 Monfortino, of course). I no longer own any of the wines you mentioned, the CF included, and even ended up parting with most of my remaining bottles of the 1990 Giacosa SSR, 1990 Monfortino and 1990 Sandrones and Gajas as well…

Bill. Wow. I’m so jealous. That’s half the price I have to pay here, if I’m lucky. Do you have a ‘truffle man’ that can get paid by credit card and wants to stick some truffles in a fedex 2-day to NY pouch?? Not kidding, if you know a guy, love to give him a good sized order and hack out the middleman!

-peter