TN: 1988 Bordeaux at Keen's Steakhouse in midtown NYC

I finally got to open the 1988 Leoville Poyferre that I was supposed to bring to the dinner (but instead had to travel for work).

Anyway, it’s a very nice, fully mature Bordeaux. It’s not an outstanding wine, like the 1982 and 1990, but it is a wine that any Bordeaux aficionado would be happy to drink at dinner.

I also finally made it Keen’s and had the mutton chop – pretty darn good (even if it is lamb, not mutton)!

Ben

Dale - “Needs mutton” is one of the best wine descriptors I have come across in a long time.
I’m a fan of the dry and savoury 88s and they do like being partnered with food.

Apparently you guys aren’t the only ones that like 1988 Pichon Lalande!

For example, Rudy Kurniawan – currently in jail facing charges for wine forging – allegedly used this formula to create 1945 Mouton-Rothschild: 1/2 bottle of 1988 Pichon-Lalande, 1/4 bottle of oxidized Bordeaux (for that “old” flavor), and 1/4 bottle of Napa cabernet for freshness and body.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/08/cracking-the-code-of-counterfeit-wine

A waste of a good 88 PL! That formula doesn’t sound too good to me. I’ve never tasted '45 Mouton but I certainly don’t think that formula would in anyway replicate it.

Had an 88 Meyney recently, still really good. Not quite where it was 4 years ago, when it was ridiculously good for its pedigree/price, but still a classic 80’s Cordier wine.

Sounds like a great night:-) And 88 Haut Brion is just such a great wine - had it last time a month ago and my notes concur with yours Dale and I simply love it with its great balance and depth of great pure fruit

I completely missed Dale’s notes on this event from 3 months ago. A fun one with plenty of those huge mutton chops to go around … although I stayed with beef-meat steak. Great mutton though, as I recall when I was given a slice to taste. A good steakhouse with the old New York ambiance and decor. It’s my 2nd favorite local steakhouse , after Peter Lugers.

Upon digging out my notes, I see that the '88 Haut Brion managed to stand out amidst a bountiful of good classic '88 wines from Bordeaux.

I also thought then that both the Pomerols, the La Fleur de Gay and the L’Eglise Clinet were fine examples of a nicely-mature austere Pomerol.

Both the '88 Pichons showed smoothness and elegance, and I’d hate to waste a good '88 Lalande to try and replicate a 1945 Mouton as suggested by Rudy. It’s also a Lalande that I prefer over the '89 and '90.

The other wines from Pessac-Leognan, i.e. the '88 Haut Bailly and the '88 LMHB were memorable for the great bouquet with herb and leafy notes and delicious balance.

Overall, an impressive showing by the '88 vintage.

Thanks for the notes, Dale.