TN: 1980 Nevada City Cellars Zinfandel, Amador County. PAGING TOM HILL

Used to ride my Harley up there between NC & Grass Valley. More weed than Zin there these days.

Love the bottle photo & notes.

2 Likes

Agree with Brig! Appreciate your research as always Drew and hope things are well!

1 Like

Just got this e-mail from Bill:

What is the BW number on bottle? Produced and bottled or Cellared and Bottled?

I think Norskog had wine made or bought bulk juice from Santino.

Also, Mark Foster came to Madrona from Bargetto.

Bill

1 Like

Thanks Tom! I tossed the bottle a long time ago so Iā€™m unfortunately unable to answer the question, but really cool feedback!

Really appreciate you looking into it!

Tom, hereā€™s the Bonded Winery number, according to a 1988 ATF roster.

Internet Archive
[u]Bonded Wineries and Bonded Wine Cellars Authorized to Operate[/u]

ATF P 5120.1 (11/88)

Text Search: ā€œNevadaā€

ā€œBW CA 5063
Nevada City Winery
Nevada Cityā€

I might be wrong, but Tony Norskog started a publication for winemakers called Practical Winery. He sold it to Don Neel, who ran it for over thirty years, and moved up to the hills.
As I recall, Tony made that wine with planks in the tank.

My man! Canā€™t thank you enough for your relentless research! You add so much value to this board and its very much appreciated [cheers.gif]

So I randomly found a bottle of 1991 Nevada City Winery Zin at auction, and with this thread being revived, prob as good a time as any to pop it. Super high bar set by the 1980 (which is still damn surprising), but Iā€™ll give it a shot tomorrow and see how it shakes out.

Iā€™m sure that everyone has been on the edge of their seat waiting for an update on the 91, but i did want to report that it was, sadly, completely shot. Just a pitiful watery brown color and undrinkable on the palate (literally couldnā€™t even swallow a sip). Prob how the 1980 should have been, but sometimes the wine Gods smile down upon you when they really shouldnā€™t [cheers.gif]

If I recall correctly, Nevada City Winery was started by Alan Haley.

Alan was a practicing attorney in Honolulu but had a real passion for wine. Moved to Nevada City and started making wine.

Early on, a few of us winos who knew Alan bought a case of cab. Nothing outstanding about the wine but seemed to be well made.

1 Like