TN: 1974 Stags' Leap Winery Petite Sirah (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 1974 Stags’ Leap Winery Petite Sirah - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/2/2010)
    Signs of Seepage, but the wet cork came out in one piece using the cork screw/ah so combo trick. Still very dark in the glass, with cloudy bricking at the edges. Very pretty floral red fruit aromatics jump out of the glass, with a tinge of mint and cigar wrapper. Hints of burned sugar show themselves with more swirling. While the nose is pretty, the palate is somewhat jagged - still plenty of acidity, notes of barrel char, coffee grounds and black tea dominate. Sweet red fruit and mushrooms start to emerge with more air. Complex, yet not very harmonious. Still very much alive! (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

My second Petite from 1974 - the first being a Ridge York Creek six months ago. The Ridge seemed to be more advanced, but more harmonious at the same time. Both of these wines were anything but ‘monolithic’.

You opened this without me, I am heartbroken.

Benchmark opened one to see if it was good - we have over a dozen or more left! Don’t worry, you were the first customer I had in mind! [wink.gif]

Believe 1972 was the inaugural vintage Mike and it was released late 1974 or 1975. You used to be able to get this bottle under $5. I last had the 1974 like in the early 90’s.

How much will they be offered for, Mike?

Do the others have crappy corks too?

+1 and I have never even met Mike Sai!

Very nice Mike…what a job perk…better than a matching 401k!

[good.gif]

Tasting samples from each collection is necessary, but definitely a perk!

Two bottles were showing signs of seepage, we opened the worst one. The majority have good corks and great fills. Don’t quote me on this, but the number I heard for the good bottles was $49. I’ll know for sure when I talk to our acquisitions department on Monday. If anyone is interested, PM or e-mail me - I can make sure Berserkers get first dibs, that is, after I take a few for me… [whistle.gif]

Mike; I think these would make a very nice addition to the next Central Valley/Merced offline! [stirthepothal.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]