TN: 1974 Heitz Martha's,1968 Heitz Pinot Chardonnay, 2000 DRC Grands Ech…..

crazy huh? did not see that coming either.

looking forward to it champagne.gif

we will drink well

Glad to hear all three wines showed well.

I came across this Wine Spectator wines of the century article this morning (http://www.winespectator.com/magazine/show/id/8060), which advises to drink the '74 “now through 2006”. Other unintentionally funny parts of the article include overall praise for a Harvey Rodenstock wine dinner featuring 1947 right bank wines, even though the “rich but slightly oxidized” Cheval Blanc “cast a pall over what had been a euphoric evening”. They also chose Sassicaia as the heir apparent for a 1955 Biondi Santi. Even my 12 year old son knows that the two are not even remotely related. No wonder this is the first time I’ve read the Spectator in over a decade.

I wouldn’t even put the 74’ on my bucket list, because I would never expect to actually try one. The first Martha’s I tried, however, was also the 1998 (which is definitely considered an ‘off-vintage’). . . I couldn’t believe how fantastic that wine was! The eucalyptus was VERY present (which some people don’t like), but what a well put together wine. Excellent experience. I’ve had some of the newer vintages as well, and I would say I like them much better with years on.

Dusty/Alicia- if you’re ever in LA, come into Augustine and I’ll make it a point to open an older Martha’s. '74 was a great year, but so was '68, '69, & '70, and I’m pretty sure I’ve got at least a few of those left;)

Wow, what a kind offer! Next time I head to the west coast, I’ll be sure to stop by! [cheers.gif]

david -

happy to refer to myself as Alicia or dusty next time i am down south!

I’m still stunned by the foie gras and bacon fat popcorn!

Thanks for sharing your experience! The Heitz Chard in the picture is amazingly bright for an aged white. I guess the provenance made all the difference.

A 2000 Burg still “crunchy” in it’s second decade? I realize that we’re talking DRC, but is that unusual, or is it just my lack of experience?

Opened a 1971 Pinot Chard last night…and it was completely shot! Not the same provenance as the 68…OH how I miss that 68!! [worship.gif]

Must have had literally 100’s of Calif. wines from mid 60’s to mid 70’s. Standouts: The 68’s the 70’s, some 69’s the '71 Ridge Eisele, '72 Martha’s, many '73’s, the '74 Martha’s… this list goes on and on. Still my favorites are the Napa 70’s cabs:. Yverdon Cask 88, Heitz M, Mayacamas, Chapplette, BVPR, Mondavi Unfiltered, Inglenook Cask, Martini SS, Ridge MB(Paul Draper’s 1st vintage), Hallcrest, Freemark Abbey… too many. Been to over a dozen 1970 Cab tastings from late '70’s onward. Always a treat.

Good work guys!!!

Very cool. Amazing picture of the 68.

Did a flight last week of 1970 Latour (still in tissue), Heitz Martha’s, and Gemello. The Gemello blew both the Heitz and Latour away. Hard to find, but worth the hunt…

FU…You’re in luck…just acquired another bottle of the 74 Martha’s…let me know when you can come out and play!!! [drinkers.gif]

You too Doc! [cheers.gif]

Sounds fantastic! So when is the estimable Mr. Buzzini planning our group escapade to Modesto! champagne.gif

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Ah yes, had forgotten about that one. Blast from the past.

Some friends call me Doc FU,I’ll be there!