TN: 1973 Ridge Vineyards Geyserville - LEGENDARY!

So awesome! What a tasting!

I actually have a 35 Simi Cabernet. Not sure when I’ll open it, but it seems to be in pristine condition. Fingers crossed!

Edit. Now that i think about it…i also have a 1935 Inglenook Zinfandel :cheers:

Rick - great tasting note and thanks for sharing the buzz! Someday, love the older Ridge Zins!

Great note! I’m wondering what this wine retailed for on release. Provenance of your wines must have been impeccable.

1 Like

My pleasure! And agreed - you can’t go wrong with older Ridge! Well…with any Ridge actually, ha!

Excellent question!! Had to have been well under $10 i bet, right??

And yep, seems i might have gotten lucky with the lot as this bottle looked the roughest out of the 5…but it was great!

1 Like

It says “at least”

Sounds great. And since I’m guessing you enjoyed it even more than my vicarious pleasure in your note and experience, congratulations!

Wes and Rich,

I was there when the Simi 1931 was re-released at the winery. It was in about 1972 or 1973. I was picking up wines for a small wine shop in Marin County. They also released a cabernet, 1935 IIRC. The cases and labels were perfect, so maybe they were repackaged as well. They were out of my price range at something like $25. I also picked up cabernet and Petite Syrah at Freemark Abbey and some Hanzel wines. There were not a whole of stops on the wine trail then, unless you brought your own jug!

Same friend brought that to another epic tasting, which was a friend’s 80th birthday party. It was alive and enjoyable, but eclipsed by other wines, like a '74 Martha’s.

1 Like

First off, that’s great to hear on the 35 and understandable about the 74 Martha’s (tough company).

And second…i DEFINITELY need better friends :rofl:

– my favourite 1973 Geyserville moment came the night some thirty years ago
when i poured it blind from a paper bag for a noted American importer of French wines
and he scratched his head trying to guess which château in Pauillac…

1 Like

It is a great thing to serve blind to Bordeaux winemakers.

1 Like

Wow! Very nice and so glad to hear they are holding up. I loved 91 Geyserville back in the 00s but this is a whole nother level. Great!

1 Like

…actually 1991 was another brilliant Gyerserville –
particularly fine out of magnum

1 Like

That…is awesome! Love it, and can absolutely see it happening.

Love that you jumped on so many of these lots at auction. I saw many of these and was too nervy to buy.

1 Like

Party at Rich’s in 2035?!?!

2 Likes

Alcohol 14.3%.

1 Like

Helllll yeah!! Literally everyone in this thread is invited :cheers:

Paul Draper said he found the same ripeness level for Zin translates to about 1% ABV higher than Cab.

1 Like

I’ll trade you for a Salty Dogs Horton Cab. :disguised_face: Great note buddy!

1 Like