TN: 1971 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux Le Mont (France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray)

1971 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux Le Mont - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (12/24/2020)
French label (as in, the one without the picture and Le Mont in cursive). Drinking far younger than its almost 50 years. The nose is complex and layered, with distinct apricot and marmalade flavours, as well as some apples and pears. On the palate, you get more a perception of sweetness than actual sweetness, and there is a gorgeous rounded texture as well. Tons of botrytis here. The one strike against this is the relatively short finish, but all in all, this is a stunningly fresh and beautiful bottle. (93 pts.)

Awesome!! Would love to get my hands on some older Huet but haven’t convinced myself to pay the freight yet. Couple more notes like this though and I’ll probably break down!

Thanks for posting!

Vinaturel in Germany has a great stash of older vintages (‘21, 39, 43, 47 etc), which they got when Noël Pinguet stepped down. I’ve got some perfect ‘89 Le Mont Premiere Tri from them, one of which I’m actually looking forward to trying tonight!
Not sure if they ship intercontinental though.

Terrific wine and, as good as it is, the '71 Le Haut-lieu Demi-Sec is even better, imo. Terrific acid levels in '71 that keep everything snappy.

Rich, I have a couple bottles left of 1989 Huet Moelleux Le Haut Lieu. Think I got them from JJ Buckley. Had one last year and it was sublime, but definitely has tons of life left.

Would love to try some with even more age.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! I’ll take a look and see if they ship internationally…and if they do…how expensive that would be.

Nice score buddy! I’m always checking the auction sites as well. Just need to pull the trigger at some point!

Cheers!

I didn’t buy nearly enough of the 1971 Demi-Sec when it was available and pretty cheap. I drank my last bottle a few years ago and it was sensational.

1 Like

Ditto. I have one of three left from that Garnet tranche. The last one (~2016) was ridiculous. That bottle was fabulous but needed another 10-20 years.

1 Like

Hope I’m there when you open it! Mine are long gone. Of course, there’s always Connell…

I’ve got some '71s as well. Thanks for the note.