TN: 1969 Maison Leroy Vosne Romanee 1er cru

Bricking throughout. Intense bouquet of damp earth, truffles, game, and a touch of red fruit and violets. A delight to smell and smell. Medium bodied and concentrated, with layers of flavor that stain the palate. A subtle taste of tangerine peel and cloves emerge on a long finish. Elegant with a silky texture that caresses the palate like a Hermes scarf. A great bottle. As enjoyable as the '69 Maison Leroy Vosne villages was last year, this bottle had more of everything.

Peter, I always enjoy your tasting notes. Keep up the great work!

[cheers.gif]

A question–today at least there’s a significant price differential between Maison and Domaine Leroy. Are the old negociant wines from before Lalou set up the domaine seen as being of true Leroy caliber? This note sure makes it sound so. I’ve seen some tempting prices on old “Leroy Grand Crus,” but of course all were made with purchased fruit.

Thanks, young man!

While I’ve not had extensive experience drinking the Maison Leroy wines, I’ve drunk enough bottles to be quite impressed with their quality. I’ve drunk perhaps six or seven of the Maison Leroy grand crus from the 1949 vintage, and all were extraordinary.

There is tremendous variability in the maison leroy wines but some are truly profound. Sometimes - like with the '69 echezeaux - you can have two bottlings that are of completely different quality and have the exact same label and are indistinguishable before opening. I’m still a buyer because of amazing experiences (47 gevrey cazetiers, 85 bourgogne, 66 corton) but I’ve dumped some down the drain (99 bourgogne,95 charmes). Buyer beware.
A

Sure everything before 1988 was from purchased fruit - at least partially (Leroy owned already some vineyards, but blended them with purchased fruit)
As far as I´m concerned the majority of bottles - if in good condition - was excellent, often outstanding, sometimes great. One of the greatest Burgs I´ve ever had was RSV 1937/Leroy …

Sure there are also disapointing bottles, but one cannot really say they are bad, often it was a questionable proveniance that caused the weak performance.
So in the majority very recommendable, but unfortunately (too) expensive.

A 1969 Leroy Chambertin I had was not shabby either :slight_smile:. And I bought that bottle in the days when you could have it for a price that looks cheap actually.

variable indeed–62 La Romanee, 66 Chapelle and Corton great, lesser level wines not as impressive. And of course bottle by bottle.

Are you saying you can tell after opening? If so, how? Is there a branding on the cork? Just curious, as I have a bottle and would be interested in which wine I have. Thanks!

Hi Marco. The last time I had one was around 2007, and there was a notable difference in quality between some bottles and others. Meadows commented that there were two separate lots of the wine. I’ve always assumed that the merely good bottles were from one lot and the fabulous bottles were from the other. Of course, there are lots of factors that could be at play. Also - you might want to add your last name to your signature.

A

I had this wine also (3 bts), one was much better than the other 2, but the fill levels were quite different - and I tasted them far apart … so no real opportunity to compare, but I bought them from the same auction lot (20 years ago).

I had a bottle at Jean Georges maybe in 05 or 06 that was unbelievable. I purchased another two at retail after that (Sokolin, I think) which were similarly fabulous. Then I bought more from another retailer (for the life of me I can’t remember where) all of which were good enough, but not close to the earlier bottles. I remember quite a bit of back and forth about it on that lame-ass wine board that we all left.