TN: 1931 Château d'Yquem (France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes)

• 1931 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (4/29/2010)
    From 375 with a mid-shoulder fill. Nose is all dried apricots and cinnamon w/ a touch of maderization. Palate is almost completely dry - more apricots, minerals, baker’s spice and still enough tart acidity to keep everything together with medium length finish. Not earthshattering, apparently '31 wasn’t a great year, but a privilege none the less!

Posted from CellarTracker

Pulled from a colder than normal (high 40’s) cellar and opened as a sample at work. I’m no d’Yquem expert, but this was more interesting than “mind blowing”. Still fun and very much alive!

Nice! Back story Mike…back story.

VERY cool Mike!! The Doc is going to be jealous. That has to be the oldest wine you’ve ever had huh? Again…what a job perk! [welldone.gif]

Buzz - Oldest yes, but I have to be honest and say that it couldn’t hold a candle to the 1936 Massandra that we had at our holiday party… THAT stuff was AWESOME!

Jorge - we just acquired a cellar in the SF Bay Area that has TONS of old stuff - mainly 60’s and 70’s California, but plenty of other oddities. The guys got back today from cataloging and packing the wines and as per usual we opened a few representative bottles to check provenance. The kicker is this cellar was kept below normal temp - 47-49ish, which should have slowed the aging curves down. I can’t wait to start tasting through some of this stuff!

Excellent note. Reading it, I couldn’t help but think about the fact that the vintage was 35 years before I was born. Your word “privilege” is very fitting in my view.

Screw the tasting.
When are you selling?

David - look for it in a few weeks…

Jealous? Indeed I was looking for the green font!

1931… From 375

I wonder when the 375 form factor achieved widespread adoption?

1931 seems awfully early for an innovation like that.

WTF is the bottle photo Mike?

when and where is that stuff being sold? Hint, hint. Remember Glamis Castle–where wine had virtually remained in suspended animation, as it had been stored so cold–at auction, the prices were stratospheric due to the amazing storage conditions.

From chemistry long ago, the speed of a chemical reaction doubles with every 10 degrees C increase. Wine aging is a series of chemical reactions–which in the case of a cold cellar, would be slowed down.

Nobody has proven that slowing down wine aging is necessarily leading to better aging, but in my limited experience, it does. I’ve kept my wine at 50 degrees for years and it seems to taste better and fresher than friends’ wines stored at higher temps.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Maybe I’ll start a new one . . .

alan

Just curious but the shipping lable in the picture clearly states the contents as “750ml” [scratch.gif]

Glad to see you still eating and drinking well my friend. Hope all’s well and let me know if there’s more to be sold…Thanks Greg

That is interesting?? The bottle next to that glass clearly looks to be 375.

Sean - nice catch. The bottle was most definitely a 375. We see this all the time - even with recent bottles. The importer most likely didn’t want to print several different tags with different format sizes. On recent examples that I’ve seen, the format size is typically scratched-out with a pen and the correct size is just hand written on the importer label.

Makes sense in the days before modern printers that an importer would not want to spend the extra $'s for extra lables. I was just thinking on how this throws another flag out there with regards to what seems to be more counterfit/fake wines coming on the market. Just to be clear I’m sure that Benchmark is doing an outstanding job of due diligence on all their cellar purchases.